Equality and Diversity
The Equality Delivery System (EDS)
The EDS is a tool that has been designed by the NHS to enable organisations to analyse equality performance with the assistance of local stakeholders, prepare equality objectives and embed equality into mainstream commissioning activities.
In 2012 NHS Norfolk and NHS North Norfolk CCG (then in shadow form) adopted the Equality Delivery System (EDS) framework. NHS North Norfolk CCG uses the EDS framework as an opportunity to raise equality in service commissioning and performance for the community, patients, carers and staff.
The Equality Act 2010 brings together all previous equality legislation into one single Act simplifying the law and strengthening it in important ways to help tackle discrimination and inequality. The Act, which came into force in April 2011, includes a new public sector equality duty replacing the separate duties relating to race, disability and gender equality.
The Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED)
The PSED requires all public bodies to demonstrate how they have complied with the duty on an annual basis. This means that NHS North Norfolk CCG must show compliance with both the general and specific duties of the PSED. The general duty asks organisations to have due regard to the need to:
Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
Protected characteristics 'in the context of the PSED' are defined as:
- Gender reassignment
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Race (this includes ethnic or national origins, colour or nationality)
- Religion or belief (this includes lack of belief)
- Sex (male and female)
- Sexual orientation
- Marriage and Civil Partnership (but only in the need to eliminate discrimination
The specific duty requires public bodies to:
- Publish information to demonstrate compliance with the general duty by 31 January 2013 and annually thereafter;
- Publish one or more equality objectives covering up to a 4 year period by 6 April 2013 and thereafter annual updates
The Equality Delivery System
A refreshed Equality Delivery System for the NHS – EDS2
EDS2 is more streamlined and simpler to use compared with the original EDS. It is aligned to NHS England’s commitment to an inclusive NHS that is fair and accessible to all. NNCCG is currently working toward populating the EDS2 template provided to NHS organisations in April 2015. Please note, more information will be made available in due course.