-A A +A

Working together for excellent healthcare in North Norfolk and rural Broadland

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

The www.nhs.uk website has a wealth of information that may be able to assist you.  Please note that most healthcare providers, such as hospitals, community services and ambulance service, all have their own websites, with details of their PALS services (see below).

NHS England will be able to assist you with GP concerns or complaints and can be contacted via the following email address: england.contactus [at] nhs.net

If you have an enquiry reqarding a Dental Service or need to find a local dentist, please call the 111 service that will be able to offer advice.  Telephone 111 directly.

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital Foundation Trust - PALS Service

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Kings Lynn Foundation Trust PALS Service

James Paget Unoversity Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust PALS Service

Norfolk and Suffolk Foundation Trust - PALS Service

Norfolk Community Health and Care NHS Trust - PALS Service

East of England Ambulance Trust - PALS Service


If a person is unhappy about any matter connected with the CCG’s functions, in particular, the commissioning of healthcare or other services under an NHS contract, they are entitled to make a complaint, have it considered, and receive a response.

Independent Complaints and Advocacy Services play an important role in helping complainants at each stage of the complaints process. The support provided varies according to individual need and ranges from giving information about the complaints process and possible outcomes to more in-depth support.  POhWER provides this service in North Norfolk and advocates work closely with complainants and NHS providers at an early stage with the aim of resolving complaints quickly and at a local level.  More information is available here. NHS North Norfolk CCG encourages service users who have a complaint to contact POhWER at an early stage in one of the following ways:

In writing:
PO Box 14043
Birmingham B6 9BL

Telephone: 0300 456 2370
Website: www.pohwer.net

Alternatively, to make a written complaint, contact the Complaints Manager for NHS North Norfolk CCG at the following address:

NHS NEL Commissioning Support Unit
Lakeside 400
Old Chapel Way
Broadland Business Park
Thorpe St Andrew

Telephone: 01603 595857
E-mail:NELCSU.AngliaComplaints [at] nhs.net

If you wish to make a complaint regarding care provided by a non-NHS provider in North Norfolk and are unable to seek a direct resolution, please contact the Complaints Manager at the above address.

You can download our Complaints Policy


Healthwatch Norfolk

Healthwatch Norfolk is the local consumer champion for health and social care in the county. Formed in April 2013, as a result of the Health and Social Care Act, they are an independent organisation with statutory powers. The people who make decisions about health and social care in Norfolk have to listen to you through them.

You can visit their website here for more information: www.healthwatchnorfolk.co.uk and you can leave a review about any health and social care service in Norfolk by clicking on ‘Share your experience.’

Alternatively, you can send them an email at: enquiries [at] healthwatchnorfolk.co.uk or call them on their Freephone number: 0808 168 9669.

Their offices are based near Wymondham: Suite 6 – Elm Farm, Norwich Common, Norfolk NR18 0SW.


Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman

If you are unable to seek redress via the provider organisation and/or clinical commissioning group, you may contact the Parliamentary and Health Services (PHSO) for further support.  PHSO adopt a 3-Step Process in relation to investigating your complaint:

Step 1 - First PHSO will conduct some initial checks within five working days to make sure they can deal with your complaint. This includes checking that:

  • the PHSO can look into the organisation and issue you're complaining about
  • You have been through the organisation's own complaints process already

If the PHSO can deal with your complaint, they let you know and refer it on to step two. If they cannot take your complaint forward, they will give you information about what you can do next.

 Step 2 - The PHSO will take a closer look at your complaint to decide if we should investigate. They will look at several things, including:
  • whether you have been affected personally by what happened
  • whether you complained (to the PHSO or an MP) within a year of knowing about the issue
  • whether you have (or had) the option of taking legal action instead
  • whether there are signs that the organisation potentially got things wrong that have had a negative effect on you that hasn't been put right

You will receive a decision within 20 working days

Step 3 - The PHSO will talk to you about your concerns and what they are going to investigate. They will tell you how long they think their investigation will take and will keep you regularly updated. They will gather all the information they need, including from you and the organisation you have complained about, before making a final decision on your complaint.  They PHSO will aim to complete their investigation within three to six months.

For further information please review the PHSO's Charter at: http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/about-us/our-service-charter#Our%20Service%20Charter